Persons who are of foreign extraction from a non-EU country can work in Spain for third parties (when they are hired by an employer) or freelance under certain conditions. In all cases they will need a Residence and Work Permit . The permit is obtained in the country of origin, unless the person has a Residence Permit. If the person’s situation in Spain is irregular, he or she cannot commence proceedings to apply for the Residence and Work Permit.

The minimum working age is 18, although young people can work when they become 16 with the permission of their parents or guardians.

Foreign workers hired without a Residence and Work Permit are not in a legal situation, but they have employment rights. Any circumstance considered anomalous such as excessive working hours, wage discrimination, claims for sums of money, hazards in the work place or unfair dismissal can be notified to trade union representatives (ELA, CC.OO., LAB or UGT) or to the local authorities (Employment Inspection).

Foreign nationals with a Residence and Work Permit,can apply for work and to do this must be registered at the Basque Employment Service Lanbide or Lanbide Cruces.Registering with this body also allows you to access employment training courses. Foreign nationals with a Residence and Work Permit can also register on the job seekers' list. Lanbide foreign nationals with a Residence Permit.

Unemployed status is certified by Lanbide, Lanbide Cruces and can be very useful as an employer recruiting a certified unemployed person is eligible for state allowances in the employment contract.


Barakaldo Town Hall through Inguralde provides free information on professional and job training, for the self- employed as welll as other workers. At the same time Basic Social Services also provide information on and make referrals to employment guidance resources and job training through different programmes, for example, Auzolan.

The Basque Employment Service Lanbide or Lanbide Cruces,also provides information on these issues.

For specific aspects of professional training, in addition to the bodies already mentioned, foreigners can also use public bodies such as Hobetuz or professional training centres.


Inguralde is a services entity at Barakaldo Town Hall for training, employment and economic promotion. It has a number of units.

Assistance from Inguralde may be enlisted by any person registered as resident in Barakaldo who wishes to obtain information and/or employment either freelance or for third parties, and particularly the unemployed who are in need of backup in their search for a job.

This service may also be used by people in Barakaldo who wish to set up a company.