Registering as a resident

This means registering your name on the Municipal Residency list, showing all the residents of the town. Both Spanish residents and residents from overseas may register, regardless of their age, and whether or not their situation has been regularised.

Registering as a resident

People living in the town must be registered in this registry.

  • It is a right.
  • It may be a requirement for many official procedures, social assistance and economic assistance.
  • It means that they can apply for the Individual Health Card, sign their children up for school or be eligible for the town's Social Services.
  • It is used to prove how long someone has been living in Spain.
  • It allows applicants to participate in programmes to improve the living conditions of local residents.

Non-European Union foreign nationals, with the exception of those who have a Long Term Residence Permit, must renew their registration on the Municipal Census before two years have lapsed from their previous registration. If this is not done,the Town Hall can remove the person from the census without previous consultation.


To register in Barakaldo, you must:

  • Be an adult, or under-age with authorisation.
  • Reside in the town.


Valid identification documents for foreigners are the Foreign Nationals’ Identification Number issued on a current passport or other document. Minors require the Family Register or a legalised birth certificate.

If others living at the same address are already registered, one of them can sign the Authorisation Document or Permit to live at that address, and enclose a photocopy of their identification.

If there is no other resident at the same address, you require a document which entitles you to live there: property deeds or tenant contract, past receipts for services such as water, gas or electricity in the name of the applicant.

If you do not have any of these documents, you must apply for registration as a resident in writing, and the Authorities will check the data and residence.

When minors register as resident at an address other than their parents’ address, they require an authorisation document.


These formalities are carried out at the Citizens’ Assistance Service (SAC) and must be repeated if you move.