Individual Health Care Card (TIS) (Tarjeta Individual Sanitaria TIS)

The Health Card (TIS) grants the right to regular or urgent health care. It is granted to those who are legal residents.


To attend Osakidetza's health centress an individual health card (TIS) is required accompanied by the following documents:

  • Family register which accounts for all persons living in a household.
  • Identification document (original and photocopy):
    • For those of Spanish nationality, the National ID Card (DNI), or the Family Register for minors under 14 years of age.
    • For foreign nationals the Residence Card.
  • Document proving the right to medical assistance issued by the National Social Security Office.
  • Application form.

Once the information has been checked, the Department of Health sends the card to the home address.

The card assigns a GP and a health centre to the patient.

If you are registered and have worked in an autonomous region other than the Basque Country, the Individual Health Card(TIS) can be applied for. In this case your Employment Record (Vida Laboral) and your Social Security card must be provided.

Those whose status is illegal

Foreign nationals without legal status can be granted the Health Card (TIS) as long as they are registered on the municipal census in the Basque Country, have spent more than three months in the state, have no economic resources of their own and have no access to a public health care system through other means.

In the case of not being registered on the municipal census, NGOs in Euskadi are permitted to issue a "Certificate stating that registration on the municipal census has not been possible" when a person with illegal status has been living in Euskadi for at least 3 months, they can be granted the Temporary Health Care Document (DAST) for a period of 6 months, for the Basque Country only.

Further information

Basque Government Local Health Authority